From the office of Del. Pat McDonough:
Big government and big brother took another giant leap forward with the passage of Obama Care. Against the wishes of an overwhelming majority of the American people, politicians in Washington executed a plan that will destroy our economy, seriously harm health care, and diminish our individual liberty.
The current war cry is, “Wait until November and the next election!” The outraged voters will take their revenge. Of course, it’s not only Obama Care. A whole series of dramatic and dangerous big government policies have been unfolding under President Obama. Control of private sector enterprise, unprecedented spending, Draconian debt, and reckless programs have convinced the American people that their way of life is at risk. Fear fills their futures. They are ready for change and desperate for a return to the patriotism and liberty of the past. Obama Care has so many defects, they are too numerous to mention, but I will try to put some bones on this Frankenstein’s monster without a brain:
1. It does allow abortions and provides services to illegal aliens.
2. The plan is controlled by the IRS and they can throw you in jail.
3. Your freedom is evaporated and you will pay for health care coverage or pay a fine.
4. Government intervention will be massive to the point of deciding who receives care and who does not. Already the quality of cancer care drugs has been immediately reduced under the law.
5. MRIs, other tests, and procedures will be limited and subject to the veto power of government harassed doctors. Remember the government’s mammogram memo?
6. The Congressional Budget Office claims that the total cost for the plan is $948B over a 10 year period. I will eat a bowling ball in the middle of Camden Yards if that is even 25% of the eventual cost.
7. Medicaid costs will become so large that even the Chinese won’t be able to help us.
8. Medicare costs will become so rationed and so reduced that even the Chinese won’t be able to help us.
9. Senior citizens will become targets and victims. They will be pushed to the back of the bus in favor of everyone else.
10. Health care professionals, including doctors, will leave the profession in large numbers just like they did in Canada and Massachusetts.
11. Tort reform will be euthanized.
I could go on, but the point is obvious. The greatest tragedy related to this entire ordeal is the fact that there actually are real solutions to our health care problems. Putting faith in free market principles, medical breakthroughs, multiple choices, and other innovative ideas would reform the system. The medical bottom line would be more access, better health care, and reduced rates. In November, the American people will decide.