A federal firefighter was injured while performing fire suppression activities Thursday evening at a blaze that was believed to have been sparked by an unattended candle left in the basement of the Edgewood dwelling.
It took 40 firefighters, responding from Joppa, Bel Air, Aberdeen Proving Ground, Abingdon, and Kingsville, about 20 minutes to control the single-alarm blaze, which broke out in a two-story, end of the group townhome in the 600 block of Burlington Court in Edgewood at about 8:17 p.m. Thursday.
The fire, which was discovered by a neighbor, originated in the basement and was believed to be accidental – caused by a candle left unattended.
Norman Bannon, an APG firefighter, was injured while battling the blaze. He was treated and released from an area hospital, according to the State Fire Marshal’s Office.
The fire cause an estimated $10,000 in damage to the dwelling and $3,000 to its contents.
The State Fire Marshal’s office verified a smoke alarm was present in the townhouse.