The Aberdeen Fire Department battled a dwelling fire Thursday morning at a house on South Law Street.
The call went out just after 9:10 a.m. for a fire at a one-story, single-family house in the 100 block of South Law Street – just a few blocks west of the fire station.
Aberdeen Police were on the scene to assist with traffic control and shut down Law Street at Custis and Market Streets for about an hour.
By 10 a.m. the fire had been extinguished, crews were mopping up the scene, and the State Fire Marshal’s Office was on-hand to begin its investigation.
It took 20 firefighters from Aberdeen, Aberdeen Proving Ground, and Susquehanna Hose Company only about 5 minutes to bring the fire under control.
The Maryland State Fire Marshal’s Office listed the fire as “accidental” due to an unattended candle.
The fire caused an estimated $2,000 in damage to the house and $1,000 to its contents.
A smoke alarm was present and working in the home.