Built in 1840, the Lock House is recognized as a national landmark and considered an invaluable institution of the community. Since 1982, the Lock House has been operated by the Susquehanna Museum.
Each year the museum heightens its partnership with the community by involving individuals from the region to take part in historical preservation and education. Visitors of the Lock House grounds become enriched with a sense of the past. Visitors learn the history of the area and the tidewater canal by witnessing how it occurred. Besides the myriad of interactive exhibits that can be found inside, outside people are able to view the actual lock that was in use while the canal was in operation over a decade ago. The Susquehanna Museum latest achievement is the installation of a state of the art working replica of the lock.
Saturday April 9th denotes the opening day out the Lock House. This second annual event is celebrated with entertainment, refreshments provided by the Laurrapin Grill and access to the Lock House and its Grounds. The festivities take place from one till five.