A Saturday afternoon fire badly damaged a home on the 1900 block of Bowen Way in Forest Hill, according to the State Fire Marshal’s Office.
The home’s owner discovered the fire at about 12:58 p.m. in a bedroom in the home’s basement. A total of 30 firefighters from the Bel Air, Jarrettsville, and Fallston fire companies brought the blaze under control in about 20 minutes. The Harford Mobile Crisis unit also responded to the incident. A smoke alarm was present in the home and working at the time of the fire.
According to the State Fire Marshal’s Office, the cause of the fire was ruled accidental, and was traced to a malfunction with a portable fan. The blaze caused $250,000 in damage to the home and $75,000 in damages to its contents.