An electrical malfunction is being blamed for sparking a fire that caused an estimated $200,000 to a Joppa home and its contents on Monday morning.
Fifty firefighters from Aberdeen Proving Ground, Abingdon, Bel Air, Joppa, and Kingsville responded at 6:37 a.m. Monday to the 400 block of Timber Lane in Joppa and took about an hour to control the single-alarm fire in the one-story rancher style dwelling.
The fire was initially discovered by the occupant in the interior of the basement’s utility room and was deemed accidental and blamed on an electrical malfunction in the ceiling area of the utility room.
There were no injuries in the fire, but it is estimated to have caused $150,000 in damage to structure and another $50,000 in damage to contents of the home.
A smoke alarm was present and working in the house.