A decision on a proposed operating budget for the fiscal year 2013 is on the January 23 meeting agenda for the Harford County Board of Education. Superintendent Robert Tomback has proposed an unrestricted operating budget for next year of $447,334,549 and a restricted operating budget in the amount of $24,493,44. The Superintendent’s proposal includes salary increases for employees.
Employee salaries must be negotiated with each of the five employee bargaining units in HCPS, therefore the proposed increases are not defined at this time.
In other business board business, Don Osman will be inducted into the Educator Hall of Fame. Osman is a retired educator and a former member of the Harford County Board of Education. Recognitions are also planned for Katherine P. Lambert, who was named the Eastern District Teacher of the Year for Adapted Physical Education; Dyann R. Mack, the Maryland Association of Elementary Principals Assistant Principal of the Year, and the Harford County 2012 All State Student Musicians.
School board members will make a decision on promotions and appointments to be proposed Monday evening by Superintendent Tomback. Other action items include the approval of the monthly personnel report and a “Non-Retention and Third Year Probation Report.”
Resolutions are planned for Career and Technology Education Week and National School Counseling Week.
Survey results will be presented on student motivation and parent satisfaction.
As always, the meeting will conclude with a report by Superintendent Tomback.
Below is the published agenda for the January 23 meeting of the Harford County Board of Education. The meeting is set to begin at 6:30 p.m. in the HCPS A.A. Roberty Building in Bel Air. Please note that published agendas are subject to change.
MEETING OF THE BOARD OF EDUCATION
MONDAY, JANUARY 23, 2012
HCPS A. A. ROBERTY BUILDING
102 S. Hickory Avenue, Bel Air, MD 21014
Board Open Session – 5:15 P.M. – Board Room
Board Closed Session – 5:20 P.M. – Board Executive Conference Room
Board Business Meeting – 6:30 P.M. – Board Room
6:30 P.M. Call to Order – Dr. Leonard D. Wheeler, President
Quorum Roll Call
Adoption of Agenda
Pledge of Allegiance
*6:35 P.M. Recognition
• HCPS Educator Hall of Fame – Donald R. Osman
• Eastern District Teacher of the Year for Adapted Physical Education, Katherine P. Lambert
• Maryland Association of Elementary Principals Assistant Principal of the Year, Dyann R. Mack
• 2012 All State Student Musicians
*6:55 P.M. Public Comment
*7:05 P.M. Introductions
*7:10 P.M. Board Committee Reports and Comments
*7:25 P.M. A. Consent Agenda:
1) Minutes of Previous Meetings: (Goal 1-4)
• January 9, 2012
• January 18, 2012
2) Monthly Report on Personnel, Non-Retention and Third Year Probation Report (Goal 3)
3) Proposed Resolutions: (Goal 3)
• Career and Technical Education Week
• National School Counseling Week
*7:40 P.M. C. Decision on Promotions and Appointments, Dr. Robert M. Tomback (Goal 3)
*7:45 P.M. D. Presentation on Board Strategic Plan Update #4, Mr. William A. Lawrence
• Presentation on Student Motivation and Parent Satisfaction Survey Results. Progress Report Parent/Student Satisfaction Survey Data
(Goal 3) Ms. Leeann Schubert, Mr. Phil Snyder, Ms. Teri Kranefeld
• Grades K-2 Student Motivation Survey
• Grades 3-5 Student Motivation Survey
• Grades 6-11 Student Motivation Survey
• Parent Satisfaction Survey Results
*8:05 P.M. E. Superintendent’s Report
Future Meetings Review