A Thursday afternoon blaze caused significant damage to a Street home and claimed the life of a dog, fire officials said.
The fire was reported by a passerby just after 4 p.m. at a single-story home on the 600 block of Cherry Hill Road in Street. A total of 40 firefighters from the Whiteford, Jarrettsville, Bel Air, Darlington, and York County, Pa. fire departments brought the blaze under control in approximately 10 minutes.
According to the state fire marshal’s office, the first units arriving on the scene attempted to rescue a dog trapped inside the house, whose owners were not home at the time of the fire. However, the dog perished before a rescue could be made.
The cause of the fire was traced to an electrical malfunction in the home’s kitchen. Damage to the home was estimated at $50,000, and damages to its contents were estimated at $25,000, the state fire marshal’s office said in a release. Its occupants are being assisted by the Red Cross and family members.