While working with molten coal, which he uses to create tools for his blacksmith business, a Darlington man accidentally ignited a fire in his outdoor storage shed on Friday afternoon.
Just before 1 p.m. on Friday, firefighters responded to the 1500 block of Deerfield Road in Darlington, where a 10-foot by 16-foot outdoor storage facility was ablaze.
The homeowner said the molten coal with which he was working came into contact with the rear wall of outdoor wooden storage structure, resulting in the fire.
Thirty firefighters from Darlington, Whiteford, Level and Port Deposit responded to the one-alarm call and had the fire under control within 10 minutes.
The state fire marshal estimated the fire caused $8,000 in damage to the shed and another $2,000 to its contents.