A Bel Air home sustained serious damage Saturday afternoon in an accidental fire traced to an electrical malfunction.
A neighbor reported the fire shortly before 2:51 p.m. at a single-story home on Spring Drive in Bel Air, according to a release from the Office of the State Fire Marshal’s northeast office. A total of 50 firefighters from the Bel Air, Abingdon, Fallston, Joppa-Magnolia, and Kingsville fire companies responded and brought the blaze under control in approximately 45 minutes. No injuries were reported.
The occupants of the home were not home at the time of the fire, which was attributed to an electrical malfunction in the master bedroom’s bathroom ceiling fan. The fire was contained to the home’s attic, with “extensive” smoke, soot, and water damage to its bedrooms. The state fire marshal’s office estimated damage to the home at $25,000, and damages to its contents at an additional $25,000.