An accidental cooking blaze damaged a Joppa home Wednesday afternoon, fire officials said.
The fire broke out just before 3 p.m. in the kitchen of a home in the 3400 block of Clayton Road in Joppa, according to a release from the Office of the State Fire Marshal. A total of 30 firefighters from the Joppa-Magnolia, Abingdon, Fallston, and Bel Air fire companies responded, and brought the fire under control in approximately 20 minutes.
The blaze was attributed to a grease fire that ignited while the home’s occupant was cooking on a stove top and spread to nearby wood cabinets. Damage to the home was estimated at $20,000, while damages to its contents were estimated at $5,000.