(Photo Credit: Level Volunteer Fire Company)
An accidental two-alarm fire sparked by the refueling of a lawnmower Saturday morning destroyed a garage complex at a Churchville home and caused an estimated $500,000 in damages, fire officials said.
The blaze broke out at approximately 11:30 a.m. in a 30-foot by 90-foot garage and workshop located at a home in the 3400 block of Old Level Road, according to a release from the Office of the State Fire Marshal. A total of 45 firefighters from the Level, Havre de Grace, Bel Air, Aberdeen, Aberdeen Proving Ground, Abingdon, Darlington, and Rising Sun fire companies responded and brought the blaze under control in about 30 minutes.
An investigation determined the fire was ignited during the refueling of a Bobcat zero-turn lawnmower when gasoline vapors made contact with the mower’s engine. Damage to the 10-car structure was estimated at $300,000; damage to its contents, which included the lawnmower and a 2010 Ford F150 truck, were estimated at $200,000.