From the Office of the State Fire Marshal:
Deputy State Fire Marshals investigated an incident involving a 15-year-old female who sustained 2nd degree burns to her legs and fingers after an illegal firework exploded.
The July 4th incident occurred at 9:50 PM after the teenager and her family were observing an illegal fireworks display in front of 1802 Brickhouse Lane in Fallston, Harford County. Investigators determined the homeowner, Jeffrey S. Hoffmann (51) was igniting both ground based and aerial fireworks when a stray aerial firework did not launch properly and exploded in the front of the girl as she was sitting on the ground approximately 25 feet away. In an effort to provide medical aid, the teen’s father placed her in the home’s swimming pool. Emergency personnel from Fallston Volunteer Fire Company responded and later transported the teenager to Johns Hopkins Hospital Pediatric Burn Unit with 2nd Degree Burns to approximately 9% of her legs and fingers.
At the conclusion of the investigation, Deputy State Fire Marshals determined the aerial fireworks that injured the teen were purchased in Pennsylvania. Investigators issued Hoffman criminal citations totaling $500.00 for the discharge and possession of fireworks without a permit.
“Every year Marylanders are injured by fireworks. By acting responsibly, we can help eliminate injuries. I would again, highly suggest the safest way to enjoy fireworks is to attend one of the many public displays throughout the state” stated Brian S. Geraci.