Parishioners setting up extra stove in preparation to bake apple cakes for the Darlington Apple Festival this weekend inadvertently sparked a fire in an historic Dublin church.
Upon plugging in the stove, just before 4:30 p.m. on Tuesday, two burners were on and ignited a Tupperware box while the parishioners were in another room of the Dublin United Methodist Church in the 1500 block of Whiteford Road in Street. An automatic alarm alerted church members, who extinguished the fire with a portable fire extinguisher. Moderate smoke and soot damage, estimated at $5,000, was present throughout the basement of the historic two-story church.
Emergency personnel were dispatched after the alarm sounded and 20 personnel from fire companies in Darlington, Bel Air, Whiteford, and Level responded.