A Fallston man was badly burned Monday afternoon after attempting to ignite a brush pile in a backyard fire pit using gasoline.
Just before 12:30 p.m. Monday, emergency responders were called to the 2300 Baldwin Mill Road in Fallston for the report of a burn injury. The occupant of the home, a 45-year-old man, was attempting to burn brush and logs in a fire pit behind the residence with the use of gasoline to assist the fire.
Upon igniting the brush pile, vapors ignited, and a subsequent “flash” fire injured the man. He sustained 2nd- and 3rd-degree burns to his hands, arms, and face, but was still able to call 911. The man was initially treated by Fallston Volunteer Fire Company before later being flown to Bayview Burn Center by Maryland State Police Aviation Command.
The man was admitted to Bayview Burn Center and is currently listed in stable condition. The Office of the State Fire Marshal is responsible for investigating all open flame burn injuries and warned to never use gasoline to accelerate or assist in open air burning, as gasoline fumes can ignite and cause serious injury and possible death.
Ten emergency personnel from the Fallston Volunteer Fire Company responded and had the fire under control within a minute.
There were no other damages associated with the fire.