From the Maryland State Highway Administration:
Artifacts found and research conducted at Bush Tavern at the MD 7 and MD 136 intersection, details the lives of numerous occupants/owners of Bush Tavern.
Archaeologists have uncovered two stone foundations, a stone well and hundreds of 18th century and 19th century artifacts. One foundation may be an earlier 18th century building while the other building was likely built during the first half of the 19th century. Archaeologists will be on site digging, screening, and finding artifacts associated with tavern life.
The small town of Bush formed along the “Post Road” as a stagecoach stop between Baltimore and Philadelphia during the mid-1700s. At this time, it was a small settlement with homes, two taverns, mills and a tannery. French Commander Rochambeau and his men camped here while marching to and from the Battle of Yorktown. Many people lived here during the colonial-period, including Henry Ozman, who ran the tavern with his wife. The Nortons, an African American family, also lived on the property in 1860. One of the Norton’s sons served in the U.S. Colored Troops during the Civil War.
SHA is investigating the location in anticipation of the MD 7/ MD 136 project.