An unattended candle may be to blame for a fire that spread through an Abingdon townhouse Wednesday afternoon, causing tens of thousands of dollars in damage and possibly claiming the life of a family pet.
Just after 2:30 p.m. on Wednesday, emergency personnel were dispatched to the 3400 block of Tree Frog Court in Abingdon for the report of a dwelling fire in a two-story, middle of group townhouse.
The fire was discovered by the occupants of the home in a second floor bedroom. A preliminary cause remains under investigation, however, an unattended candle igniting combustibles can not be ruled out.
Fifty firefighters from the Abingdon Fire Company responded to the single-alarm blaze and had it under control within 25 minutes. T
The Office of the State Fire Marshal estimated the fire caused $80,000 in damage to the structure and another $20,000 in damage to its contents.
The family is being assisted by Red Cross. It is believed a family kitten perished as a result of the fire. Firefighters from Bel Air, Joppa-Magnolia, APG, Aberdeen and Kingsville assisted.