A fight involving three C. Milton Wright High School students Tuesday sent one to Shock Trauma and drew an increased police presence to the school the following day.
Video of the incident had already hit YouTube just hours after the fight, which may have been the continuation of an earlier slugfest.
The Harford County Sheriff’s Office said its School Resource Officer responded to a fight between two sophomores, one a 16-year-old male and the other a 15-year-old male, at approximately 12:20 p.m. Tuesday afternoon.
The officer stopped the fight and was escorting the 15-year-old to the school office when a third student, a 16-year-old junior, approached the two. A police report described him as having “an opinion of the fight,” and refusing the officer’s instructions to return to the cafeteria.
The 16-year-old sophomore was taken by Maryland State Police medivac to University of Maryland Shock Trauma after he was knocked unconscious during the fight, later regained consciousness, and passed out again in the school office.
Sources tell The Dagger that Tuesday’s fight stems from an earlier brawl between the same two students which occurred last week. One student was suspended for 10 days, we’re told, let back to school early, and was confronted by the second student again.
Since it’s the age of camera phones, video allegedly of Tuesday’s fight went up on YouTube that day. But sources also pointed us to a video posted a week earlier, which seems to depict the same two combatants.
Fair legal warning: the videos depict live violence and should be viewed at the reader’s risk; The Dagger is not responsible for the content of the video.
Here’s the first, earlier video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOcMth13y08
Here’s the video from Tuesday: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lB3t2JaqPu8&feature=youtube_gdata
The 15-year-old sophomore (the one doing the knocking out) is charged with first-degree assault, disorderly conduct, and disruption of school activities. The 16-year-old (the one who was knocked out) faces pending charges of second-degree assault, disorderly conduct, and disruption of school operations.
The third student who later confronted the officer is charged with failure to obey a lawful order and disruption of school activities.
The fight was not linked to larger issues such as gang involvement or racism, according to the Sheriff’s Office, and none of the students involved are believed to be members of any organized gang.
However, a source told The Dagger that the student who knocked out his classmate is new to the school this year, and has said or is rumored to be with the Crips. The other has attended C. Milton Wright for two years, and has said or is rumored to be with the Bloods.
The source said the alleged Crips student asked the other, “What’s your 20,” slang for proving you’re in a gang by flashing a sign or color. The other student supposedly responded with a gang sign. It’s not clear whether this took place during their first fight or second.
A regularly scheduled quarterly meeting of the Sheriff’s Office School Resource Officers had already been scheduled for Wednesday morning, but was moved to C. Milton Wright in the wake of the fight. Police said the move was intended to keep the school’s regular SRO on-site, and provide additional back-up if another fight began.
Also, the county school system sent out robo-calls to C. Milton Wright parents informing them of the increased police presence at the school Wednesday.
Here’s what the calls said:
Due to a student altercation that occurred at school yesterday and the ensuing investigation, there will be a police presence on campus at school today. Appropriate disciplinary action has been taken with the student involved in the fight. We are working proactively with the Harford County Sheriff’s Office and local authorities to ensure the safety of our students and staff. As always, we take the safety of our students and staff very seriously and we will keep you up to date on any developments through this phone system.