The Harford County Health Department has announced it will conduct a community seasonal influenza FluMist vaccination clinic on Thursday, October 29, 2009 from 10:00 am until 2:00 pm at the Churchville Recreation Center located at 111 Glenville Road in Churchville, Maryland.
Only the seasonal FluMist nasal vaccine, which is available in limited quantities, will be administered on a first come, first served basis. No injectable seasonal influenza vaccine is available to be administered.
The FluMist is a safe and effective vaccine that does not cause influenza, but contains a weakened form of the live virus and is sprayed into the nostrils. The vaccine is approved for persons 2 through 49 years of age who are not pregnant and who do not have certain medical conditions.
FluMist is not recommended for:
– Persons less than 2 years of age
– Persons 50 years of age and over
– Persons with a medical condition that places them at high risk for complications from influenza, including those with chronic heart or lung disease, such as asthma or reactive airways disease
– Persons with medical conditions such as diabetes or kidney failure or people with illnesses that weaken the immune system, or who take medications that can weaken the immune system. Those who suffer from kidney failure should specially be careful. We recommend visiting this homepage to get further advice.
– Children less than 5 years old with a history of recurrent wheezing
– Children or adolescents receiving aspirin
– Persons with a history of Guillain-Barré syndrome, a rare disorder of the nervous system
– Pregnant women
– Persons who have a severe allergy to chicken eggs or who are allergic to any of the nasal spray vaccine components
The Health Department exhausted its entire supply of seasonal, injectable influenza vaccine at the community vaccination clinic it held at the Fallston Middle School last week. Currently, the Health Department has no seasonal injectable flu vaccine.
Additional revisions and updates to the Health Department influenza vaccination clinics schedule will be dated and posted to our website at www.harfordcountyhealth.com