From the office of Del. Rick Impallaria:
We received 804 responses out of 4454 sent, an 18% response rate, which is excellent. Thanks to all who responded.
1. Do you believe there should be term limits for elected officials?
2. If the gubernatorial election were today, would you support Governor O’Malley? If not, write in who you would support.
Robert Ehrlich 39.5%
Not Specified 32.4%
Not a Democrat 7.7%
Anyone but O’Malley 5.1%
Pat McDonough 3.9%
Rick Impallaria 1.9%
Andy Harris 1.2%
Ron Paul 0.6%
Michael Steele 0.6%
3. On a scale of 1 – 10, 10 being the highest, rank the performance of the General Assembly over the past three years (since the last election).
4. Do you believe that the help the government gives small business, i.e., more government control, oversight, and regulation, really helps small business?
5. The federal government has been focusing most of its time on health care. Please rank the following four topics that the federal government should be working on, in order of importance to you, with 1 being the most important and 4 being the least.
1 2 3 4
Health Care 7.6% 9.7% 14.6% 68.1%
National Security 52.1% 26.4% 12.5% 9.0%
Jobs 36.1% 41.7% 15.3% 6.9%
Energy 4.2% 22.2% 57.6% 16.0%
6. Name three areas where you think the Maryland budget should be cut.
Summary of responses: Reduce the size of government (various suggestions were made); Cut all benefits to illegal aliens; Make welfare a program to transition to employment, not to stay on continuously; Eliminate police protection of public officials; Base the budget on the prior year’s revenue, not expected revenue; Fix education (higher spending does not equate to better educated children)
7. Do you believe we should have table games as well as slots?
8. Do you think that law-abiding Maryland citizens should have the right to carry firearms, openly and/or concealed, for personal protection?
9. Do you support marriage for same-sex couples?
Note: Many people remarked that they would support civil unions granting legal rights to same-sex couples but either viewed marriage as a more religious topic one in which the state should not regulate, believe that the word marriage cannot apply to same-sex couples as the definition is a union between a man and a woman, or some other reason.
10. Do you believe that same-sex relationships should be taught in our public schools as a natural and appropriate relationship?
Note: Several people remarked there would have to be restrictions like parental consent and that it should only be taught in high schools. Also many people responded that it was not the government’s responsibility to teach kids about this, it is the parent’s.
Other Comments: Eliminate speed cameras. Legalize medical marijuana. Mandate town hall meetings for elected officials; they are now greatly out of touch with their constituents. Make gambling legal, then tax it.
I hope you enjoyed taking the survey as much as I enjoyed hearing from you.
Delegate, District 7