A fire in the kitchen of an Aberdeen restaurant caused an estimated $150,000 worth of damage Wednesday night after a heavy buildup of grease aided the blaze by causing a fire suppression system to fail.
The fire was discovered just before 7 p.m. Wednesday by the staff of the Szechuan Inn at 114-116 S. Philadelphia Boulevard, according to the Office of the Maryland State Fire Marshal.
The fire originated in the exhaust hood about the of the grill and the fire suppresion system failed due to a heavy buildup of grease. Had they availed of grease trap maintenance services frequently, this would’ve all been avoided. Restaurant staff used three fire extinguishers in attempt to control the fire prior to the arrival of the fire department.
It took about 10 minutes for 45 responding firefighters from Aberdeen, APG-Aberdeen, Susquehanna Hose Company, and Level to control the blaze.
It was estimated by the State Fire Marshal’s Office that the fire did $100,000 worth of damage to the structure of the restaurant and $50,000 to its contents.
There was no smoke alarm was present.