The Harford County Board of Education amended the agenda early in its Monday night session, clarifying that the vote expected later in the evening on the proposed elementary redistricting plan would only be “preliminary,” and that the final vote on the plan would be conducted during its March 14 meeting.
The motion was made by Board member Tom Evans (Fallston representative) and was approved with no further explanation.
Board of Education President Mark Wolkow later clarified that the Board would vote Monday on amendments to proposed plan, but the final vote is postponed until March 14. Wolkow said the final vote was postponed to let the public hear the Board’s thinking on proposals – its rationale and intentions.
From the Harford County Board of Education:
The Board of Education of Harford County met in an open business meeting on Monday, February 28, 2011, in the Board Room of the HCPS/A.A. Roberty Building and took the following actions or received the following presentations:
Amended the agenda to change Item B: Decision on Comprehensive Elementary Redistricting Plan to the Preliminary Decision on Comprehensive Elementary Redistricting Plan and moving the final decision to the March 14, 2011 Board Business Meeting.
Recognized the following:
– HCPS Educator Hall of Fame Inductee: Mr. Dwight Enterline
– Black College Expo Essay Contest Winners: Stacy Drakeford and Kirsten Newman, both of Aberdeen High School
– Maryland Excellence in Gifted and Talented Education School Award: Hall’s Cross Roads Elementary School
– Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Certified: Joppatowne High School
Approved the Consent Agenda:
Minutes of Previous Meetings:
– January 24, 2011 Board Business Meeting
– February 7, 2011 Board Work Session
Proposed Resolutions on:
– National Music in Our Schools and Youth Art Month
– Maryland Women’s History Month/International Women’s Day
– Decision on Contract Award, Red Pump Elementary School Library Materials
– Ratification of the HCESC Negotiated Agreement for 2011-2012 SY
– Ratification of Negotiated Agreement with the Harford County Education Association
– Decision on Recommendation of Candidate for Board of Education Ethics Panel
– Waived Board Policy (20-0041-000) that would require a decision on redistricting to be made 180 days prior to the opening of school. Waiving this policy would allow the final decision to be deferred to March 14, 2011.
Approved the following amendments to the Proposed Elementary Redistricting Plan subject to final approval on March 14, 2011:
Amendment 1 – Return Trestle Road area to Forest Hill Elementary School from North Bend Elementary School and North Harford Elementary School, to include parcels on west side of Rocks Road up to Brocks Road, including Stone Haven Drive and Azure Court. Include Parcels up to and including those on Brocks Way.
Amendment 2 – Return Fountain Green Heights area to Fountain Green Elementary School. Return Campus Hills Estates area to Prospect Mill Elementary School. Return Goat Hill Road area to Churchville Elementary School.
Amendment 3 – Return northeast area of Rte. 40 to Hall’s Cross Roads Elementary School from Roye Williams Elementary School. Moving special programs to Roye Williams with the capacity will open up with these moves.
Amendment 4 – Return Upper Crest/Chambers Circle to Homestead/Wakefield from Prospect Mill Elementary School.
Amendment 5 – Move northern boundary of Jarrettsville ES to area south of Parcels on Troyer Road between Harford Creamery and Norrisville Road, from Norrisville Elementary School.
Amendment 6 – Extend north western boundary of Youth’s Benefit ES from Baldwin Mill Road (165) to Rutledge Road, between Mountain Road (152) and Charles Street, including Nelson Lane.
Amendment 7 –
– Move area northeast of Route 40 to Joppatowne ES from Abingdon ES.
– Move area between Route 40 and I-95, east of Mountain Road from Riverside ES to Joppatowne ES.
– Return the area south of Trimble Road, from the eastern edge of the Magnolia ES/Deerfield ES boundary to Magnolia ES.
– Return the L-shaped “Seven Oaks” area north of Hanson Road, and, move Stoneleigh Square area north of Hanson Road to Edgewood ES from Riverside ES.
– Return the area south of Trimble Road, Foster Branch Road, and Joppa Farm road, east of Joppatowne ES boundary back to Riverside ES.
– Return Long Bar Harbor area to William Paca/Old Post Road ES from Deerfield ES.
– Move West Shore area to Deerfield ES from Edgewood ES.
Amendment 8 – Return area south of Conowingo Road and east of Hughes at the northwest section of the current Darlington ES to Dublin ES.
Amendment 9 –
– Move area north of Harkins Road (136) from Rocks Road (24) to St. Paul Church Road, including Picker Dr., from North Bend ES to Norrisville ES.
– Move area northwest of Eden Mill Road and North Telegraph Road to Norrisville ES.
Amendment 10 –
– Move parcels on both sides of Stepney Road from I-95 to Rte. 40 to George D. Lisby at Hillsdale Elementary from Church Creek ES.
– Return students on west side of Spesutia Road from Rte. 40 to Perryman Road to Church Creek ES.
Grandfathering – Fifth grade students (approximately 290 students) only at the option of the parents with transportation provided by Harford County Public Schools.
Boundary Exceptions – Maintain current Boundary Exception policy with strict enforcement of that policy.
Received a presentation on a Legislative Update and approved the following positions:
Appointed the 2012-2013 Calendar Committee Members.
Received a presentation on the Quarterly Financial Report for December 31, 2010.
ELEMENTARY REDISTRICTING UPDATE 2-28-11
As the Board voted to postpone the final decision on the Elementary Redistricting Plan until the Monday, March 14th Board meeting, the Elementary Redistricting email (ElementaryRedistricting@hcps.org) will remain open for the community to provide input regarding the newly proposed amendments to the plan.