Two residences, one in Jarrettsville and one in Aberdeen, were heavily damaged by fire in the aftermath of Hurricane Irene’s tour though Harford County, fire officials said.
An overheated power strip sparked a fire in a home on the 4000 block of Old Federal Hill Road in Jarrettsville at approximately 6 p.m. Monday night, according to the state fire marshal’s office.
The fire began in the master bedroom, where it was discovered by the owner. The blaze was brought under control in about 15 minutes by 50 firefighters from the Jarrettsville, Whiteford, Norrisville, Bel Air, and Fawn Grove, Pa. fire departments.
Damage to the one-story home was estimated at $50,000, and damages to its contents were estimated at $20,000.
A day earlier, a candle ignited bedding material in the master bedroom of an apartment on the 1000 block of Warwick Drive in Aberdeen, the state fire marshal’s office said.
The fire was brought under control in about 20 minutes by 35 firefighters from the Aberdeen, Level, and Aberdeen Proving Ground fire companies. Damage to the apartment was estimated at $30,000, and damages to its contents were estimated at $6,000.