From Harford County Public Schools:
The Board of Education of Harford County met in an open business meeting on Monday, October 24, 2011, in the Board Room of the HCPS/A.A. Roberty Building and took the following the actions or received the following presentations:
Recognized the following:
– 163rd Inductee into the HCPS Educator Hall of Fame – Ms. Maudeline A. Banks
– 2011 Maryland Center for Character Education School of the Year Award – Fountain Green Elementary School
– Gilder Lehrman American History Teacher of the Year 2011 – Ms. Danielle Taylor
· Received a presentation from Ms. Shelby Anderson, SGA president for Harford Technical High School. Ms. Anderson talked about “Red Ribbon Week” that will be held this week, sponsored by Harford Technical High School’s Students Against Destructive Decisions (SADD). She announced that many anti-drug awarenees activities will occur this week.
Approved the Consent Agenda, with the removal of item 4 (Upgrade of Student Information System) to allow for discussion:
Minutes of Previous Meetings:
October 10, 2011
October 17, 2011
– Monthly Report on Personnel, Tenure Recommendations
§ American Education Week
§ Impact Area Aid Assistance
§ American Patriotism in Harford County Public Schools
§ National Education Support Professionals Day
§ National Family Week
· Approved the onetime payment transfer of $1,258,979 to the OPEB Investment Fund at MABE in order to fund retiree benefit costs.
· Received a presentation on the Comprehensive Annual Financial Report and Auditor’s Report for the year ending June 30, 2011.
· Received the second presentation in a series entitled “Board Strategic Plan Update.” The topics discussed as a part of this update series were student attendance, Adequate Yearly Progress (AYP), MSA results, Advanced Placements results.
· Received the Superintendent’s Report which announced the Superintendent’s Budget Hearing that will be held on Tuesday, November 1st at 5:30 p.m. in the auditorium of Bel Air High School. The purpose of the hearing is to receive feedback and input as the Superintendent begins to develop the 2011-2012 operating budget.