A fire which caused major damage to an Aberdeen home Tuesday evening has been ruled accidental in nature, fire officials said.
The blaze was discovered shortly after 5 p.m. by the owner of a split-level home on the 1100 block of Montreal Drive in Aberdeen. While en route, units were advised by Harford County Fire Dispatch that multiple calls were being received, some reporting that occupants may still be in the house.
Upon arrival, the Chief of the Aberdeen Fire Department reported smoke showing from a split level wood frame dwelling with an unattached two-car garage. It was quickly determined that all occupants were safely accounted for outside of the structures. As firefighters advanced into the structures to extinguish the fire, two dogs were located inside and removed to safety.
A total of 30 firefighters from the Aberdeen, Level, and Aberdeen Proving Ground fire companies brought the fire under control in about 15 minutes.
According to the state fire marshal’s office, investigators traced the blaze back to the propane tank of a gas grill located on the home’s rear deck, which had leaked and ignited a nearby electrical source. Five people, including the home’s elderly owner, escaped the blaze without injury.
Harford County Sheriff’s Office deputies were dispatched to the scene after the owner’s son became disorderly and disrupted firefighting operations by attempting to re-enter the home after being told not to do so, the state fire marshal’s office said. He became compliant following further warnings.
Damage to the home was estimated at about $80,000, with an additional $25,000 in estimated damages to its contents.
Local photographer Dean Nicewander arrived early to the scene and was able to take a series of dramatic photographs detailing the fire as it spread and was finally extinguished.