A Darlington man suffered smoke inhalation while trying to rescue his pets from an accidental fire which broke out in a Darlington mobile home Wednesday afternoon, fire officials said.
The fire was reported at 2:21 p.m. by the owner of a home in the 3200 block of Cedar Church Road in Darlington, according to a release from the state fire marshal’s office. A total of 30 firefighters from the Darlington, Level, Port Deposit, Rising Sun, and Delta-Cardiff fire companies brought the blaze under control in about 45 minutes.
State fire marshal’s investigators determined that the fire broke out in the home’s interior bedroom due to an unknown malfunction with electrical appliances connected to a portable generator.
A male occupant of the home suffered smoke inhalation while trying to rescue family pets, fire officials said. He was treated by Darlington EMS crews and refused transport to the hospital. A smoke alarm was not present in the home at the time of the fire.