An Abingdon home sustained significant damage in a Saturday night fire that authorities said was caused by a cooking accident.
The fire was reported shortly after 9 p.m. in a two-story home in the 3100 block of Philadelphia Road in Abingdon, according to the State Fire Marshal’s Office. Approximately 50 firefighters from the Abingdon, Joppa, Bel Air, and Aberdeen Proving Ground fire companies brought the blaze under control in about 30 minutes.
Investigators traced the fire back to cooking left unattended in the home’s kitchen. Damage to the home was estimated at $75,000, while damage to its contents were estimated at $10,000, according to the State Fire Marshal’s Office.