An Edgewood home was damaged in an accidental fire Friday night, according to fire officials.
The blaze was found by the occupants of a home on the 2000 block of Hanson Road in Edgewood shortly after 8 p.m. Friday, according to the Office of the State Fire Marshal, who said they arrived home to find the split-foyer house filling with smoke.
The blaze was brought under control in approximately five minutes by 25 firefighters from the Joppa-Magnolia, Aberdeen Proving Ground, and Abingdon fire companies. According to the State Fire Marshal’s Office, investigators determined the fire ignited when a gas furnace condensate pump’s motor ceased and eventually ignited the pump housing, triggering a fire which spread to other nearby combustibles. Firefighters were able to contain the blaze to the area around the pump.
Damage to the home was estimated at $2,000, and damages to its contents were estimated at $3,000.