A fire which broke out in a Fallston barn Friday afternoon claimed the lives of nearly three dozen chickens and hens and caused an estimated $80,000 in damage, fire officials said.
The fire was reported just after 2 p.m. Friday by the occupants of a 40-foot by 25-foot barn in the 800 block of Reckord Road in Fallston, according to the State Fire Marshal’s Office. A total of 40 firefighters from the Fallston, Jarrettsville, Bel Air, Kingsville and Jacksonville fire companies brought the fire under control in just under an hour.
Investigators traced the fire back to a 15-foot by 25-foot chicken coop, where a heat lamp ignited nearby combustibles.
20 chickens and 14 hens were lost in the fire, with damage to the structure estimated at $60,000 and damages to its contents estimated at $20,000, according to the State Fire Marshal’s Office.