An Abingdon townhome sustained significant damage in a Thursday morning fire accidentally ignited by a Verizon worker.
The fire was discovered just before 11:30 a.m. Thursday morning by the owner of a home on the 200 block of High Meadow Terrace in Abingdon, according to a release from the Office of the State Fire Marshal. The blaze broke out on the home’s exterior, and was brought under control in about 30 minutes by a total of 30 firefighters from the Abingdon, Bel Air, Joppa, and Aberdeen Proving Ground fire companies.
Investigators determined that the fire was accidentally sparked by a Verizon employee who drilled into a main electric service line while installing Fios service. Damage to the structure was estimated at $50,000, and damages to its contents were estimated at $10,000.