(Photo courtesy Harford County Volunteer Fire and EMS Association/Barry Bunker)
A Jarrettsville home sustained major damage Monday morning in a two-alarm fire which investigators said was ignited by discarded fireplace ashes.
The fire was reported by the owner of a home in the 3800 block of Federal Hill Road in Jarrettsville at approximately 7:41 a.m., according to a release from the Office of the State Fire Marshal. The occupants were alerted to the fire by a working smoke alarm and escaped without injury.
Approximately 80 firefighters from the Jarrettsville, Fallston, Whiteford, Bel Air, Jacksonville, Hereford, Fawn Grove and Delta-Cardiff fire companies responded and battled the blaze for about 90 minutes.
Investigators determined that a bucket of discarded ashes ignited the rear of the split-level home, sparking a fire which spread into the home’s roof. Damage to the home was estimated at $325,000, while damages to its contents were estimated at $50,000.
The Harford County Disaster Assistance Team provided aid at the scene.