An SUV was destroyed Friday in a fire sparked after the vehicle became stuck in mud and its owner, who purchased the truck three days earlier, attempted to free it but accidentally ignited nearby grasses.
The fire was reported at 1:17 p.m. Friday afternoon on the 1000 block of South Stepney Road in Aberdeen, according to a release from the Office of the State Fire Marshal. According to investigators, the owner of the was driving the 2014 Jeep Cherokee Sport on his property to feed ducks but “overestimated the four-wheel drive capabilities” and the vehicle became stuck in a muddy marshland.
As the owner attempted to free the vehicle, the truck’s engine came in contact with high grass, which ignited a blaze that extended into the engine compartment. Five firefighters from the Aberdeen Fire Department responded and brought the fire under control in about five minutes. According the State Fire Marshal’s Office, the vehicle was considered a total loss, at a cost of $26,000.