From the Harford County Board of Education:
September 8, 2014
The Board of Education of Harford County met for an open business meeting at 6:30pm in the Board Room of the A. A. Roberty Building and took the following actions and received the following presentations:
– Sheila George: DI changes to proposed policies.
– Christina Douglas, Principal of Church Creek Elementary School: CCES is 20 years old; they are celebrating and sharing student successes tonight.
– Sydney Thompson: Support change in AP grading policy.
– John Anker: Use of fields during the fall season by outside groups.
– Pat Nikkila: Support retroactive change in AP grading policy; APG family noting they have seen multiple school systems and HCPS is by far the best.
– Hillary Doherty, BAES PTA: Request removal of BAES from 4th tier status and request additional buses, on behalf of BAES PTA. Express concern of field use during fall season by outside groups.
– Dale Marx, President Harford County Regional Association of Student Councils: Support retroactive changes in AP grading policy.
Old Business: Action Items
– Consent Agenda
– Minutes of Previous Board Meetings
– Award of Contract: Pre-Construction Management Services Havre de Grace Middle/High Replacement School
– Award of Contract: WiFi Infrastructure and Equipment Roye-Williams Elementary school
– Motion Passed: FY2016 Capital Improvement Program presented by Mr. Cornell Brown, Ms. Patti Jo Beard, Mr. Chris Morton
– Motion Passed: HCPS Board Policies presented by Patrick Spicer, Esq., Mr. Peter Carpenter, Mr. Rob Limpert, Ms. Melanie Wernig
– Clubs Policy No. 06-0010-000
– Curricular and Extracurricular Activities Policy No. 06-0007-000
New Business: Presentations
Recommendation for HCPS Board Policies presented by Patrick Spicer, Esq.
– School Sponsored Dances Policy No. 06-0011-000
– Educational Field Trip Policy No. 06-0012-000
– Non-School Sponsored Trips Policy No. 06-0013-000
– Automated Transportation Routing Software presented by Mr. Cornell Brown, Mr. Charlie Taibi, Mr. Matt Payne
– Mrs. Canavan shared that on September 19, Harford County Public Schools is joining MSDE, the No Kid Hungry campaign and school systems across the state for a kick-off to the 2014 Maryland Breakfast Challenge. The kick-off on September 19 will focus on HCPS schools signing up for the challenge and encouraging students to participate in breakfast year-round, but especially during the state-wide challenge from November 1, 2014-January 31, 2015. Harford County Public Schools is committed to providing each student the opportunity to have a healthy breakfast at school every morning and we look forward to joining the students of Dublin Elementary school for breakfast on September 19.
The next Board of Education business meeting will be held Monday, September 22, 2014 at 6:30pm. All Board meetings are held in the A. A. Roberty Building. To access all future meeting dates and agendas, log onto the school system website at www.hcps.org.