From the Office of the State Fire Marshal:
The Office of the State Fire and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives have determined the cause of the September 21, 2014 fire that occurred at the former Tome School Memorial Hall on the Bainbridge Property. Investigators determined a person or persons gained entry and intentionally ignited the interior of the school. An estimated damage in loss could not be determined due to the structure being a historic landmark.
It has been reported to the media by local officials it was believed other incendiary fires in the area could be connected to the fire on the property. Investigators have no evidence this fire or any other incendiary fires are connected and each fire has been a lone act by separate individuals or remains under investigation.
The 2:45 a.m. fire was brought under control by nearly 35 firefighters from Water Witch Fire Company and assisted by Harford, Cecil and Pennsylvania fire departments. The vacant, three-story school was extensively damaged during the blaze and continued to burn for a week afterwards which has resulted in sections of the building collapsing.
The building was originally constructed in 1901 as the Tome School for Boys and later the property was operated by the U.S. Naval Training Center in Bainbridge from 1942-1976 and officially closed for Department of Navy use in 1986. Some of the facilities were then operated by the U.S. Department of Labor as a Job Corps Center until 1990. The property now falls under the Bainbridge Development Corporation for renovations. The property is located along the Susquehanna River in Port Deposit, Maryland.
Investigators are seeking photographs of the school prior, during and after the fire. Photographs may be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Anyone having information may contact the Northeast Regional Office at 410-836-4844 or the Arson Hotline at 1-800-492-7529
Photographs and video provided by Cecil County Sheriff’s Office DFC William Muller.