From Harford County Public Schools:
November 17, 2014
The Board of Education of Harford County met for an open business meeting at 6:30pm in the Board Room of the A. A. Roberty Building and took the following actions and received the following presentations:
– Ms. Kate Johnson- Maryland Council for Social Studies’ Instructional Leader of the Year
– Mr. Andrew Cassilly, representing HCPS- 2014 Corporate Energy Management Award for Association of Energy Engineers Region II
– Ryan Burbey, HCEA: Statements concerning unilateral changes, bad faith bargaining, and sick leave bank
– Kristen Nance, CCES: Sharing celebrations- National Picture Book Month with special guests; Newest National Board Certified Teacher, Ms. Erin Van Nostrand; Approximately 200 visitors at today’s American Education Week
– William Smith: Budget process and negotiations- thank board members for their efforts in advocating for funding; encourage holding funding authority accountable.
– Nicole Young: Request sick leave bank remain as is.
Old Business: Consent Agenda
– Monthly Personnel Report
– Minutes of Previous Board Meeting: October 27 and November 10, 2014
– Contract Award: Dell Computer Purchase
New Business: Action Items
– Board approved decision on Capital Improvement Program Amendments presented by Mr. Cornell Brown and Mr. Charlie Taibi
New Business: Presentations
– Presentation of 2014 Enrollment and Projections by Mr. Cornell Brown and Ms. Ariana Langford
– Presentation of Comprehensive Annual Financial Report for the Year Ending June 30, 2014 by Mr. Jim Jewell, Mr. Jay Staab and representing SB & Company, Mr. Bill Seymour and Ms. Monique Booker
– Presentation on Quarterly Financial Report for the Period Ending September 30, 2014 by Mr. Jim Jewell
– Recommendation on HCPS Board Policies by Patrick P. Spicer, Esq.
– School Activity funds- Policy No. 06-0021-000
– School Media Centers- Policy No. 06-0022-000
– Use of Volunteers in the Schools- Policy No. 06-0023-000
– Balloon Ascensions- Policy No. 06-0027-000
– Employment of Temporary Emergency Coaches- Policy No. 06-0028-000
– Visitors- Policy No. 06-0029-000
– Physical Education and Athletic Programs for Students with Disabilities-Policy No. 06-0030-000
– Congratulations Darlington Elementary School, William S. James Elementary School and Towson University for their join effort culminating in an article titled, “Blade Structure and Wind Turbine Function,” published in Science and Children. A cross-grade level experience presented at the October 18 Maryland Association of Science Teachers Conference. For the full Superintendent’s Report, please see the BOE video archive or visit our YouTube channel.
The next Board of Education business meeting will be held Monday, December 8, 2014 at 6:30pm. All Board meetings are held in the A. A. Roberty Building. To access all future meeting dates and agendas, log onto the school system website at www.hcps.org.