Photo courtesy Joppa-Magnolia Volunteer Fire Company.
An Edgewood home was damaged in an accidental Friday night blaze, fire officials said.
The fire was discovered in an upstairs bedroom by the occupant of a two-story home in the 600 block of Charwood Court in Edgewood shortly before 6 p.m. Friday night, according to a release from the Office of the State Fire Marshal. A total of 20 firefighters from the Abingdon, Aberdeen Proving Ground, Bel Air, and Joppa-Magnolia fire companies responded and brought the blaze under control in approximately 20 minutes.
The fire was traced to improperly discarded smoking materials, the State Fire Marshal’s Office said. Damage to the home was estimated at $30,000 and damages to its contents were estimated at $20,000. A family was displaced as a result of the fire and was being assisted by the Harford County Disaster Assistance team and the Red Cross.