An Aberdeen Motel sustained serious damage in a Wednesday night fire traced to an electrical malfunction, fire officials said.
The fire was reported by a guest in the first-floor office of the Aberdeen In-Town Motel, located in the 400 block of South Philadelphia Boulevard, shortly after 8:30 p.m. according to a release from the Office of the State Fire Marshal. A total of 45 firefighters from the Aberdeen, Aberdeen Proving Ground, Abingdon, Level, and Susquehanna fire companies responded and brought the blaze under control in approximately 25 minutes, containing most of the fire to the motel’s office.
The fire was ruled accidental and attributed to an electrical failure. Damage to the motel was estimated at $100,000, with damages to its contents estimated at $25,000, according to the State Fire Marshal’s Office. Eight guests and tenants were displaced as a result, and were housed at other local motels.