From Harford County Public Schools:
February 9, 2015
The Board of Education of Harford County met for an open business meeting at 6:30 p.m. in the Board Room of the A. A. Roberty Building and took the following actions and received the following presentations:
– Larami Stephan, Vocal Teacher at Church Creek Elementary School- brought 60 4th and 5th graders to sing for the Board.
– Ryan Burbey, HCEA- Budget funding.
– Steve Nelson, Harford County School Bus Contractors Association- requesting to set up additional meetings about transportation concerns.
– Tim Wills, Executive Director of the Boys and Girls Club- shared the Boys and Girls Club is celebrating their 25th Anniversary and currently serve 5,000 kids throughout Harford County. Provided outcomes report to Board members and reminded them of the Steak and Burger event where the Harford County Youth of the Year will be announced. Also, invited Board members to visit any Boys and Girls Club in the county.
– Consent Agenda: Minutes of previous Board Meetings
– Presentation on Achievement and Postsecondary Data by Dr. Susan Brown, Mr. Joseph Schmitz, Mr. Phillip Snyder
– Presentation on Magnet and Signature Programs by Mr. Rob Limpert, Ms. Susan Garrett and Dr. Susan Brown
– Presentation on November 2014 Professional Learning Conference by Ms. Jackie Tarbert, Ms. Rebecca Gault and Dr. Susan Brown
– Presentation on Drug Education by Dr. Susan Brown and Ms. Ginny Popiolek
– The Professional Development Office is excited to offer two evening workshops for teachers in their first, second, or third year with Harford County Public Schools. Over 250 teachers are already signed up to attend these conference style workshops. Topics include close reading, culturally responsive teaching, building a kinesthetic classroom, innovative question and discussion techniques, using formative assessment, increasing student motivation, fostering critical thinking and more. The conferences are being held at Bel Air High School on Tuesday, February 10th and Thursday, February 12th from 5:00-7:30.
– We invite the community to join us in the celebration of African American History Month as we honor the impact and contributions that African Americans have had and continue to have, on our society! Our schools will be infusing activities in to the curriculum and may also have school-wide activities and celebrations around this year’s theme, “A Century of Black Life, History, and Culture.” Please look on our social media and HCPS websites towards the end of the month for highlights of the celebrations from across the county.
The next Board of Education business meeting will be held Monday, February 23, 2015 at 6:30pm. All Board meetings are held in the A. A. Roberty Building. To access all future meeting dates and agendas, log onto the school system website at www.hcps.org.