A teenager home alone in her family’s Abingdon residence escaped an accidental Tuesday evening fire which seriously damaged the structure, according to fire officials.
The fire was discovered by the 13-year-old girl at approximately 7:49 p.m. Tuesday in the basement of her family’s two-story townhome in the 3300 block of Midland Court in Abingdon, according to a release from the Office of the State Fire Marshal. The girl was home alone on the second floor when she heard a smoke alarm and discovered heavy smoke coming from the basement, fire officials said.
A total of 40 firefighters from the Abingdon, Joppa-Magnolia, Aberdeen Proving Ground, and Bel Air fire companies, as well as the Harford County Hazmat team, responded and brought the fire under control in approximately 15 minutes.
The blaze was ruled accidental in nature and was traced to a fire in a basement dryer. Damage to the home is estimated at $100,000, while damages to its contents were estimated at $50,000, according to the State Fire Marshal’s Office. The family is being aided by the Harford County Disaster Assistance team.