A Street home was damaged in an accidental Sunday afternoon blaze, fire officials reported.
The fire was discovered shortly before 3:30 p.m. Sunday in the garden of a home in the 3700 block of Peach Orchard Road in Street, according to a release from the Office of the State Fire Marshal. Approximately 30 firefighters from the Darlington, Whiteford, Level, Bel Air, Jarrettsville and Delta-Cardiff fire companies responded and brought the fire under control in 45 minutes.
Damage to the home was estimated at $15,000, according to the State Fire Marshal’s Office. The fire was traced to improperly discarded smoking materials which ignited mulch and brush in the garden. The homeowner was not displaced as a result of the fire.