By Phil Morrison
The first annual Bel Air Beer Week is kicking off August 4th at various locations around town and event organizer Shane McCarthy thinks the event will be a rousing success. McCarthy, 25, was inspired by his love of craft beer to start the event which is the first of its kind in Harford County.
The culture, artistry, and focus on localism are what drew McCarthy to craft beers. “All of these craft breweries provide local jobs and give back in some way to their local community. It’s more than just drinking good beer,” he said.
McCarthy’s hope is that this festival will inspire the town to embrace similar events with an artistic flare in the future. “This event is going to be a success and when it is, it will show people inside and outside of Harford county what a great creative place Bel Air can be. I’m hoping to build on that,” he added.
McCarthy is quick to point out that none of this would be possible without the support of Ronnie’s Beverage Warehouse, in particular owner Jay Gernand. “Here’s someone who has been in this business 40 plus years and is still innovative and looking ahead. That’s huge when you have someone like that mentoring you.”
Some of the events include:
– Weyerbacher Brewing (Easton, PA) Beer Dinner at Pairings Bistro
– Weird Beer With Weird Food pairing and tasting with Mikkeller at Ronnie’s Beverage Warehouse
– Ronnie’s Beverage Warehouse 20% Off ALL craft beer
– Jailbreak Brewing (MD) Beer Dinner at Magerks
– OC Brewing (MD) 12 tap takeover at Looney’s Pub
– Ronnie’s 20% Off ALL craft beer
– Sierra Nevada Pioneers Of The Craft, a history lesson and tasting event with Sierra Nevada at Ronnie’s Beverage Warehouse
– Friday Night Flights, a unique blind tasting event at Birrotecca
– Heavy Seas Tap Takeover at Main Street Oyster House, raffles and giveaways
– Meet the mastermind, a meet and greet with Brian Strumke of Stillwater Artisanal at Ronnie’s Beverage Warehouse
– Craft Beer Festival at MaGerk’s Pub
– Beat The Brewer, play the DC Brau Brewing team in corn hole for prizes and giveaways at JD’s Smokehouse
– Bring Your Own Vinyl Night With Union Craft Brewing, Kevin Blodger of Union, Shane McCarthy the founder of Bel Air Beer Week and Coda Records will be playing real vinyl all night while Union invades the bar
– Brewing Demonstration and Tour of the hop and malt yard at Hopkins Farm.
See the Bel Air Beer Week Facebook page for additional information.