From Harford County Public Schools:
The Board of Education of Harford County met for an open business meeting at 6:30 p.m. in the Board Room of the A. A. Roberty Building and took the following actions and received the following presentations:
No public comment this evening
– Approved Consent Agenda:
– Minutes of Previous Board Meetings: September 21, 2015 and September 28, 2015
– HCPS Prekindergarten Program, by Dr. Susan Brown, Mrs. Angela Morton and Ms. Kathy Griffin
– HCPS Transportation, by Mr. Charlie Taibi, Ms. Patricia Hankins, Mr. Matt Bedsaul and Ms. Danielle Lister
– Superintendent’s Report
– Harford County Public Schools and Magnolia Middle Schools have received the 21st Century Community Learning Centers’, Vikings After School Team (VAST) grant. The grant, worth over $300,000, will be utilized to create centers that provide academic opportunities that support what is learned in the classroom during the school day in order to increase student achievement. These programs are unique because they also provide an array of enrichment activities to engage students in learning, show students real-world connections and illustrate how students can play an active role in improving their communities. I would like to thank everyone on their efforts to secure this grant, including Coordinator of Grants, Business and Community Partnerships, Mary Beth Stapleton.
– This Spring, Ginny Popiolek, Supervisor of Physical Education PreK through grade 8 and Health Education K through grade 12, was named chair of the State Advisory Council for Health and Physical Education, a governor appointed Council of which she has been a member for several years. I am very proud of Mrs. Popiolek’s appointment and know that she will continue to advocate for physical and health education across the state.
– I’d also like to remind everyone that tomorrow night, we will be hosting the third of six Heroin Community Session; it will be held at Aberdeen Middle School. On Wednesday, The College and Career Fair will be held at Harford Community College for students as well as parents and Thursday, we will hold our final public input session on the budget in the media center at Aberdeen High School at 5:00 p.m. I encourage you to join us at each of these events.