Welding sparks and wind gusts worked in unison to ignite nearby hay and start a fire that destroyed a barn in Forest Hill on Wednesday morning.
Just before noon on Wednesday, emergency personnel were dispatched to the 100 block of Chestnut Hill Road in Forest Hill, Harford County where a one-story agricultural barn was fully engulfed in flames.
Workers were installing a new I-beam inside barn for support when sparks ignited nearby hay. The workers attempted to extinguish the fire with fire extinguishers, but were unsuccessful in containing the fire. Wind gusts were a factor in the fire spreading rapidly throughout the structure.
Thirty firefighters from the Bel Air Volunteer Fire Company responded to the single-alarm blaze and had it under control within a hour.
No injuries were reported, but the Office of the State Fire Marshal estimated $75,000 in damage to the structure and another $25,000 in damage to its contents.
Photo Courtesy, Bob Kral, BAVFC