From the Office of the Maryland State Fire Marshal:
Firefighters prevented the further spreading of a barn fire in Level on Friday morning by hopping on farm equipment and moving it out of harm’s way.
Just before 10:15 a.m. on Friday, emergency personnel were dispatched to the 3500 block of Old Level Road in Havre de Grace for the report of a barn fire.
A family member discovered a fire within the interior of the 50-foot by 75-foot masonry barn structure. Thirty firefighters from the Level Volunteer Fire Company responded to the single-alarm blaze and had it under control within 45 minutes.
The fire department was commended for a quick response and containing the fire to the hay bales only. First arriving firefighters even assisted by operating farm equipment and removed the bales of smoldering hay.
The preliminary cause of the fire was labeled “accidental, due to spontaneous ignition of hay bales” by the State Fire Marshal’s Office.
The State Fire Marshal’s Office estimated $2,000 in damage to the structure and another $2,000 in damage to it contents. There were no injuries reported.