An Edgewood man lost his cats and sustained significant damage to his home on Tuesday because of an accidental electrical fire.
Just before 2 p.m. on Tuesday, emergency responders were dispatched to the 600 block of Harrpark Court in Edgewood for a reported dwelling fire in a two-story, end of group townhouse.
The homeowner was outside working in his yard when he discovered the home on fire. The fire was discovered in the interior living room. Twenty-five firefighters from the Joppa-Magnolia Volunteer Fire Company responded to the single-alarm blaze and had it under control within 20 minutes.
Two cats perished as a result of the fire. The owner is being assisted by family members.
The Office of the State Fire Marshal estimated the fire caused $80,000 in damage to the house and another $20,000 in damage to its contents.
There was a working smoke alarm in the house, but no sprinkler system.
The preliminary cause issued by the Office of the State Fire Marshal was that the fire was accidental and due to an electrical failure.