An extension cord coiled beneath a mattress is being blamed as the cause of a fire that caused an estimated $20,000 in damage to an Edgewood home on Monday.
Just after midnight on Monday, emergency personnel were dispatched to the 600 block of Pier Drive in Edgewood for a reported dwelling fire in a two-story, single family houses.
The fire was found by an occupant of the home, who discovered it under her bed in a first floor, rear bedroom. The fire was contained to the bedroom, with moderate smoke and soot damage throughout the first floor.
Twenty firefighters from the Abingdon Fire Company responded to the single-alarm blaze and it under control within 5 minutes.
No injuries were reported and the occupants are being assisted by other family members.
The preliminary cause of the fire was blamed on a coiled extension cord powering a space heater being compressed by a box spring and mattress.
The Office of the State Fire Marshal recommends to never use an extension cord while it is coiled or looped. “Never cover any part of an extension cord with newspapers, clothing, rugs, or any objects while the cord is in use. Never place an extension cord where it is likely to be damaged by heavy furniture or foot traffic.”
The Office of the State Fire Marshal estimated the fire caused $15,000 in damage to the structure and another $5,000 in damage to its contents.