A fire inside a Whiteford woodworking shop on Friday morning may have been caused by an accumulation of sawdust and an electrical failure.
At 7 a.m. on Friday, emergency personnel were dispatched to the 1600 block of Main Street in Whiteford for the report of a structure fire within a one-story, 6,600-square-foot metal pole building.
The fire was discovered by a passerby and originated in the ceiling of the building.
Forty firefighters from the Whiteford Volunteer Fire Company responded to the single-alarm blaze and had it under control within 30 minutes.
The building housed a woodworking shop. Fire was contained to the ceiling area. Extensive accumulation of sawdust was present in the ceiling. While the fire remains under investigation, an electrical failure within the ceiling can not be ruled out.
The Office of the State Fire Marshal estimated the fire caused $5,000 in damage to the structure and another $1,000 in damage to its contents. No injuries were reported.