From the Office of the State Fire Marshal:
Investigators from the Office of the State Fire Marshal have determined the Saturday, January 14, 2012 fire that took the life of John C. Youngblood (88) was the result of a malfunctioning extension cord located beneath the night stand beside the bed. The preliminary results from the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner revealed he died as result of heart failure from experiencing fire and smoke conditions in his second floor bedroom.
The 4:59 p.m. blaze began in the second floor bedroom of the single family, two story wood frame home located at 703 Lombard Court in Abingdon. The fire was first observed by a passerby who notified 911 of light colored smoke coming from the rear of the home.
Approximately 60 firefighters responded from Level, Abingdon, Joppa-Magnolia, and Bel Air Volunteer Fire Departments and controlled the blaze within fifteen minutes. The body of the deceased was located in his second floor bedroom during the primary search of the structure.
Investigators determined smoke alarms were present and operating at the time of the fire. The fire and smoke damage to the home is estimated at $75,000. No other injuries were reported during the incident