From the Harford County Board of Education:
The Board of Education of Harford County met for an open business meeting at 6:30 p.m., on Monday, October 14, 2013, in the Board Room of the HCPS/A.A. Roberty Building and took the following actions and received the following presentations:
Approved the Consent Agenda:
– Minutes of Board Business Meeting: September 23, 2013
– Appointment of the Negotiating Teams for the 2014-15 Contract Year
– Ratification of Negotiated Agreement: Harford County Educational Services Council (HCESC)
– Career and Technology Education
– Family Life
Approved the following Promotions and Appointments:
– Ms. Kathleen A. Griffin: From Homestead/Wakefield Elementary School Teacher-in-Charge, Pre-K to Coordinator of Early Childhood Education.
– Ms. Helen E. Miller: From Aberdeen Middle and High School, Instructional Facilitator, to the 12-month Assistant Principal pool.
– Mr. Brad M. Spence: From Assistant Principal 10-month, Edgewood High School, to the 12-month Assistant Principal pool.
– Mr. John D. Stearns: From Assistant Principal 10-month, Bel Air High School, to 12-month Assistant Principal pool.
Approved the following HCPS Board Policies:
– Advertising Policy (06-00024-000)
– Collection of Funds (06-0017-000)
Approved the Annual Audit for Year End June 30, 2013.
Received a presentation on the Strategic Plan Update:
– Teaching, Empowering, Leading and Learning (TELL) Survey
– Student Motivation Survey
Received the Superintendent’s Report:
– HCPS will once again host an American Education Celebration this year in all our schools, and we invite our parents to join their children in their classrooms beginning on Monday, November 18. Certain days are designated for specific grade level visitations in an effort to balance the number of visitors on any given day throughout the week. However, we welcome our parents whenever their schedules allow. I do have an important announcement regarding a significant change this year. New this year, a new safety and security measure, suggested by the Safety and Security Citizens Advisory Committee, will be implemented at all schools. All guests planning to visit our buildings during our American Education Celebration should be pre-registered. Our schools have asked their parents to provide a list of approved visitors for their child. This list should include anyone they wish to visit their child and will be used upon check-in at each school. All visitors will be required to present photo ID at check-in. This registration process will provide additional security and facilitate the check-in process in an expedient manner. Parents will receive more information and the pre-registration form from their child’s school. In addition, the parent letter and registration form have been posted to the school system website. We are happy and excited to open our buildings to our parents to experience the great things happening in Harford County Public Schools each day, but as always, the safety of our students is in the forefront of our minds.
– All community members have been invited to Budget Input Sessions that will take place next week. I wanted to reiterate that parents are welcome to provide feedback to me in whatever format suits their needs. Two input sessions and one presentation will occur next week:
Tuesday, October 22 – beginning at 5:00 p.m. at C. Milton Wright High School
Thursday, October 24 – live presentation at 10:00 a.m. via live stream which can be viewed at any time after that point on demand.
Friday, October 25 – beginning at 3:30 p.m. at Patterson Mill High School
Although the public input sessions begin at 5 and 3:30 p.m., respectively, we will stay until there is no further comment. We understand the scheduling demands of our community. In addition, the firstname.lastname@example.org is open for input and will remain open through the remainder of the year-long budget input process. I invite everyone to become involved no matter the means – each piece of input will be taken into consideration. Budget development updates will be available throughout the year at www.hcps.org/budget.
The next Board of Education business meeting will be held on Monday, October 28, at 6:30 p.m. All Board meetings are held at the A.A. Roberty Building in Bel Air. To access all future Board meeting dates, log onto the school system website at www.hcps.org.