From the Office of the State Fire Marshal:
The Office of the State Fire Marshal has determined the cause of the January 22, 2015 fire that injured a person as he was attempting to escape the blaze and displaced seven others at 1916 Eloise Lane in Edgewood. Investigators determined carelessly discarded smoking material ignited ordinary combustibles in a bedroom.
The investigation revealed the home was occupied by eight (8) adults; all of whom were in various states of medical necessity. One of the occupants carelessly discarded a small cigar and fell asleep. The occupant later discovered a fire in her room and initially attempted to extinguish the fire prior to being noticed by another occupant who alerted the other residents. One resident, Wayne Christy (64) was overcome with smoke and collapsed while exiting the home. Christy was later transported by Joppa-Magnolia Volunteer Fire Department with burn and smoke inhalation injuries. Christy was recently discharged from Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center and is expected to make a full recovery.
The 6:18 AM fire was brought under control in 30 minutes by over 60 firefighters from Joppa-Magnolia, Abingdon, Aberdeen Proving Ground, Fallston, Kingsville and White Marsh fire departments. Bel Air Volunteer Fire Company and Harford County Hazmat Team provided rehabilitation. Damage to the home is estimated at $125,000.00. Deputy State Fire Marshals concluded a smoke alarm was present and operated.
The displaced occupants were assisted by Harford County Disaster Assistance and Harford County Social Services.